Durrës is one of oldest mediterranean cities, founded around 626 B.C. it used to be the capital of the ancient Epirus region. Nowadays, the city is quite a popular tourist destination for families due to its not deep sea and its long, wide, sandy beaches. Every summer, the beaches also attracts many young people who choose the Albanian coast for its leisure activities from games of table football to water sports events. There most popular beaches are:
- The Durrës bay: a natural amphitheatre, ideal for those who want to enjoy the sea and the sun. The main beach of Durrës is the longest national beach that stretches out for about 4 km from Dajlan bridge to Shkembi i Kavajes beach.
- General’s beach: one of the most popular beaches in Durrës, it is located on the coast of the Bardhore village, 10 km away from the city of Kavaja. It is the ideal location for all those tourists that want to stay away from the crowded beaches of the city. General’s beach almost looks like a quite island, surrounded by a lush mediterranean scrub. Fun fact: this beach was named after an Italian Official during WWII. He fell so in love with this unique place that, once the war ended, he managed to come back several times with his yacht and his family. His love for this place drove the locals to name this beach after him.
- Golem and Mali i Robit: part of the main beach of Durrës, these shores are quite attractive for tourists due to a lush pine forest located just close to the coast. Golem and Mali i Robit are famous for their soft sand and not very deep seabeds, but also for some of the most modern tourist services and infrastructures in Albania. In fact, in last couple of years, Mali i Robit has become one the most popular albanian destinations for elite tourism given its tourist villages and luxury resorts.
- Spille Beach: located on the southern part of Durrës, this beach is part of Kavaja municipality. Spille is one of the longest beach in Albania and stretches out for about 3 Km, offering to visitors many opportunities for leisure activities. Not too far away from Tirana, this beach has the massive advantage to be quite affordable. For these reasons, it is a popular destination for families.
- Portez beach: 10 km away from Durrës, this beach is the ideal spot for those who are looking for some privacy. Portez beach is a very unique place with an amazing panorama
- Lalzit Bay: Immersed in the Mediterranean vegetation, this beach has become one of the most popular spot on the Adriatic for locals and tourists. 30 kilometres north of Durrës, Lalzit is a huge seaside resort, ideal for those who are looking for a peaceful holiday away from the noises of the city. This spot also offers a lot of interesting cultural places to visit like the ancient Church of St. Nicholas and the Rodon Castle, also known as Skanderbeg castle.
- Kallmi and Currila beaches: located one right after the other along the coastline, Currila Beach and Kallmi Beach are definitely among the most well-known sun and sea spots in Durrës. Their proximity to the city makes them a favourite location for both visiting tourists and locals. Currila Beach is more populated and lively, while the beach of Kallm is the perfect location for families given its quiet atmosphere and the not so deep sea waters.